Commitment to Privacy
Privacy of our customers is of utmost importance to Young’s Bus Service. This includes information or opinions about customers that we collect and record and which could be used to reasonability identify them. We view privacy as a serious matter and we strictly adhere to the National Privacy Principals and Privacy Act 1988.
Collection of Personal Information
The kind of information Young’s Bus Service, generally includes your name, address, date of birth, trip and other travel details, credit/debit card number and expiry date, billing address, contact details such as phone, fax or email and health issues or special needs relevant to your travel arrangements
Other details that relate to passenger’s travel and information relevant to concession (student or pension) fares are also collected. For school students, Young’s Bus Service also collect details of gender, grade, school of attendance and parent/guardian contact details.
Young’s Bus Service does not collect sensitive information, such as your political or religious beliefs, ethnic background or sexual preference. We will only collect sensitive information with your consent, as required by law or where necessary in accordance with the privacy principles.
Young’s Bus Service recognises the sensitivity of receiving credit card information from customers in the course of its business. Young’s Bus Service will only collect and use that information for the purposes it is disclosed relating to Young’s Bus Service business requirements and will not use the credit card information for any other purpose other than the purposes for which it is collected.
Why your personal information is collected
Generally, Young’s Bus Service collect and use personal information about our customers to provide passenger transport services (including school student transport) and to assist our internal administration and operations. This includes managing student travel and behaviour, accounting, record keeping, system development and testing and staff training.
How personal information is collected
Where possible, we collect personal information directly from you, such as when you apply for travel assistance (either for free travel or Safety Net) for a school student, an application for an Easy-Travel Card, a replacement EASY-TRAVEL card, a request for information or a booking regarding an excursion or Coach trip or when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect and update that information over phone, email/internet, in person or when you write to us.
We may collect information through third parties such as Queensland Transport, government and non government schools who provide details of school students requiring bus transport directly to us.
We may collect vision from security video for the purpose of quality assurance, staff training and to verify/ refute incidents that may have occurred. This information will be strictly limited to police, Queensland Transport and or insurance companies.
Use of your personal information
If you obtain unregistered EASY-TRAVEL card using cash, we will not retain any of your personal information only the financial transaction details. You will also be required to provide your delivery details to enable us to post the Easy-Travel Card to you.
If you choose to register your Easy-Travel Card, your personal information will be securely held on computer and linked to a serial number of your card. Your physical Easy-Travel Card will not hold any personal information.
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- Allowing you to obtain and add value to your card;
- Allowing you to obtain a replacement card;
- Allowing you to hotlist or cancel lost or stolen card to protect the stored value;
- Facilitating security measures to guard against fraud or inappropriate use of your card;
- Allowing us to notify you of changes to your card (e.g. impending card expiry);
- Contacting parents / guardians over school students behaviour;
- Processing your booking;
- Being aware of any special travel requirements (health or otherwise) you may have;
- Providing you with confirmation of your booking and advising you of any changes to your itinerary;
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have; and
- Answering any queries you may have.
Disclosure of personal information
To better protect your privacy, Young’s Bus Service will limit the use of your personal information to the performance of Young’s Bus Service’s activities and to fulfil Young’s Bus Service’s legal obligations. Because your privacy is important to Young’s Bus Service, Young’s Bus Service will not sell, rent or trade your personal information.
Where Young’s Bus Service has possession or control of a record that contains your personal information that was obtained for a particular purpose, Young’s Bus Service shall not use the information for any other purpose unless:
- the individual concerned has consented to use of the information for that other purpose;
- Young’s Bus Service believes on reasonable grounds that use of the information for that other purpose is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the individual concerned or another person;
- the use of the information for that other purpose is required or authorised by or under law;
- the use of the information for that other purpose is reasonably necessary for enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue;or
- the purpose for which the information is used is directly related to the purpose for which the information was obtained.
In order to fulfil our activities, we may be required to disclose your personal information to:
- Government and non government schools,
- Queensland Transport, and
- Other organisations such as law enforcement agencies which we may be required to disclose information under the law.
Where personal information is used for enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue, the record-keeper shall include in the record containing that information a note of that use.
We will inform you, (either in established policies or otherwise), about who else might be provided with personal information by Young’s Bus Service related to Young’s Bus Service conducting its business or for other proper purposes.
We will use the personal information we collect only for the purposes of collection or a related purpose. We will obtain consent of the person concerned if we wish to use the information for another reason.
How we store information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer facilities and paper based files and other records:
- restricting access to our computer systems and paper records to authorised personnel;
- preventing non authorised users from accessing this information; and
- using firewalls and other network facilities within our computer system.
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect to use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and protect information from misuse, loss or unauthorised access or disclosure.
We will be open about the kinds of personal information held by us in relation to you and will give you access to personal information about you. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number please contact us to update your details so we can still provide you with our services.
Following a request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information, which we hold about you in accordance with our obligations under the privacy act. We may charge a reasonable cost recovering fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee in advance of providing the information.
Access to Personal Information
If Young’s Bus Service holds personal information about a person to which the National Privacy Principles apply, Young’s Bus Service must allow the person access to the information on request if the person wishes to access personal information held by Young’s Bus Service unless it is exempt information or a relevant exception applies.
A request should be made in writing to Young’s Bus Service. Young’s Bus Service will arrange to make the information available as soon as reasonably practical and will seek to do so within 14 days if possible. At the time of your request, Young’s Bus Service will advise you if an exception applies and will explain that exception to you.
The exceptions to Young’s Bus Service providing a person with access to their personal information include:
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other persons; or
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious; or
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Young’s Bus Service and the person, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings.
Resolving your concerns
If you wish to gain access to your personal information, have a complaint about a breach of your privacy or you have any query on how your personal information is collected or used please forward your request, complaint or query to the address below. Young’s Bus Service will respond to your query or complaint as soon as possible.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Where necessary, Young’s Bus Service may amend this Privacy Statement as our business requires or the law changes.
Contacting usIf you have any concerns/complaints about this statement or wish to update your personal information, our contact details are:
Youngs Bus Service
P.O. Box 8189
Allenstown QLD. 4700
Phone 4922 3813